The North Berks Herald dated 21st May 1921 reported:
"The unveiling and dedication of the War Memorial for the parish of Northbourne, Didcot, took place on Whit-Sunday afternoon.
The church was filled to overflowing and a short service was conducted by the Vicar (Rev. BA. Duke, MA.). The memorial, which consists of a massive cross in Cornish granite, has been erected in the churchyard. Here an immense crowd of people gathered to the unveiling ceremony, which was performed by the Vicar of East Hagbourne (Rev. H.A. Smith-Masters), who gave just the right sort of address in just the proper, forceful, yet reverent, spirit. He knew what he was talking about, as the medals he wore upon his chaplain's scarf plainly testified.
The Didcot and Northbourne Band gladly volunteered their services, and "The Last Post" was sounded by a bugler from the R.A.O.C. camp, Didcot. The collection in the churchyard realised £7- 5s-6d.
The inscription on the stone is as follows: "In grateful memory of the men of Northbourne who gave their lives for their country in the Great War, 1914-1918. Stanley A. Hillier, Arthur Keep, Walter T. Stroud, William Bosley, Hugh R. Dixon, James H.T. Forrest, and Robert Bosher, all of the Royal Berks Regiment; Albert Keats, Royal Fusiliers; Ernest Brind, Royal Garrison Artillery; William G.P. Wallace, Royal Navy."